In today’s business environment, if we want to hire the right people with the right qualities and skills for the job, we need to know them better before we hire them. Behavioral assessment tools are designed to help us do just that. These tools help us assess a candidate’s behavioral tendencies, personality, and emotional intelligence. Once someone has taken a behavioral assessment, the information can also be used for leadership development, team building, and employee retention. Ultimately, the hiring manager is provided with a User Guide to their new employee. In this article, we will detail a few of the reasons why organizations should use a behavioral assessment tool in hiring.
- Reducing Bias: Using a well-designed behavioral assessment tool ensures that we reduce subjectivity and personal biases in our hiring process. The assessment tools provide an unbiased result, leading to a more diverse and inclusive workforce. By using these tools, organizations can make objective decisions based on metrics, rather than someone’s opinions or gut feelings.
- Improved Employee Retention: Using a behavioral assessment tool not only helps with the hiring process, but it also helps with employee retention. When employees fit well within the organization’s culture, they are more likely to be engaged and stay within the same place of employment longer. Assessment tools that help identify people that are a good fit for the organization/position, lead to improved employee morale and job satisfaction. Ultimately people that fit their position/organization exhibit higher job satisfaction. Additionally, engaged employees create a better work environment, which leads to more productivity and better outcomes for the organization.
- More Developed Leaders: It is essential to have talented leaders in an organization. Leadership is a key determinant of success, and it is critical to be able to identify and develop leaders within the organization. Behavioral assessment tools help identify potential leaders, their strengths, challenges, and blind spots. Using assessment tools, HR can better target their leadership development efforts to up-and-coming leaders.
- Improved Team Performance: Behavioral assessment tools are also beneficial for identifying people that work cohesively together. It is essential to create a team that works well together to achieve the organization’s goals. By using assessment tools, a team leader can identify how their team will work together by looking at compatibility, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Cost-Effective: The Department of Labor estimates the cost of a bad hire at 30% of the individual’s first year salary. The cost of a behavioral assessment is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of hiring the wrong person one or multiple times. The assessment tool also helps narrow down the field of candidates, leading to a more targeted and efficient selection process. Identifying a candidate’s fit within the organization/job rather than relying on individual perceptions and biases eliminates wasted effort and ultimately money in the recruiting process.
As we can see, using a well-designed behavioral assessment in the hiring process can bring many benefits to an organization. Who can pass up reduced bias, improved employee retention, better leadership development, better team performance, and saving money? Add to that a streamlined hiring process and identifying individuals best suited for specific job roles and the benefits of using a behavioral assessment completely outweigh any cost an organization may incur. Behavioral assessment tools should be included in every organization’s HR toolkit for extending well-designed organizational practices, leading to a more thriving workforce and positive business outcomes.
If you would like to learn more about behavioral assessments, reach out to us at
Eleserv Talent Solutions – email@example.com – 254-275-4205